Junior Academy is Halifax Skating Club's bridge between CanSkate and the full STARSkate program. The program runs 2 days/week, skaters maybe invited to this program if they are 10 and under and have a keen interested in moving into figure skating. Lower level skaters may also be selected to participate based on a number of factors including interest, ability, and family support. The program allows skaters to complete the CanSkate program at an accelerated rate while also learning more figure skating specific skills and being able to practice on their own for a small amount of time. Skaters MUST be in good quality Figure skates.
CLICK HERE - HSC recommended Skate suppliers
Sessions are led by professional coaches, the program includes:
- 1 Canskate session per week
- Small groups sizes
- 4 group free skate lessons per week (Spins and Jumps/ Synchro/ Field moves)
- 2x15min group Stroking Classes per week
- Supervised Practice time
- CanSkate incentives/ Ribbons and badges
- Invitations to special events
- A figure skating program that teaches a variety of figure skating specifc skills including beginner STARSkate jumps, spins, turns, and ice dance steps. Skaters are not expected to master these skills at this level but instead have the opportunity to see what they will be doing more of in the full STARSkate program
- An individual practice area with testing and guidance. The full STARSkate program requires skaters who work on their own when not in lessons. This alone time is key for skill development to allow for repetition and to give skaters the opportunity to start figuring out how skills feel. When in this station, the skaters will be encouraged to use the ice and practice whatever skills they feel they need to improve on, skills they have practiced in the other stations and skills they need to pass their ribbons.
What is next after Jr Academy?
Skaters (when ready) will receive in email invitation to move into the StarSkate Program Skaters generally will move when they have completed most of stage 5 or stage 6.. These invitations are handed out in November/ March and May for the following seasons registration. Details on selecting coaches / session and more information is sent out with the invitation